Welcome to Service Learning at UC Clermont College! The American Association of Community Colleges defines service learning as follows:
What is Service Learning?
“Service learning combines community service with classroom instruction, focusing on critical, reflective thinking as well as personal and civic responsibility. Service learning programs involve students in activities that address local needs while developing their academic skills and commitment to their community.”
At its best, service learning improves student learning, addresses community needs, facilitates public debate and dialogue, and creates campuses that are true partners with their communities.
“Service Learning was enriching in so many ways that I hadn't foreseen; it provided hands-on, real world experience with the courses I was studying, enabled me to use my skills to help others in need, and it now shows prospective employers that I have had practical use of my skills that goes far beyond the classroom. I continue to volunteer teaching English to low-income mothers, and am so grateful to have been given the resources to get started with what has turned out to be a valuable, ongoing project.” --Belinda Gulette
Fast Facts (From Zach Bartush’s 2010 Annual VISTA Report)
- 429 students completed approximately 4,611 service hours in 2010-11.
- 16 faculty taught 31 service learning courses.
- UC Clermont did service with 26 community partners, an increase from the previous year.
- Over 350 community members were impacted directly.
- The value* of community engagement equaled $102,990 in 2010-2011.
- Students in the English 289 course, Writing, Philanthropy and Student Engagement, donated $4500 to 3 area nonprofits in order to help disadvantaged youth: Free Store Food Bank, Cincy Smiles and Faces Without Places.
- UC Clermont received a $3000 American Association of Community Colleges grant which promoted environmental literacy, enabling the college to expand service learning into Microbiology and Biology courses.
*One hour = $21.36 (from IndependentSector.org)
Service Learning Links
- Faculty Service Learning Manual
- Student Service Learning Manual
- Community Partner Service Learning Manual
- Student Service Hour Tracking Sheet
- Service Learning Student Contract
- Courses currently offering SL (coming soon)
- UC Clifton Service Learning website